As a Backend engineer at empathy.co, you’ll work as part of our Search team to design and build cutting-edge search features for some of the world’s top eCommerce brands.
This is an exciting role where you’ll help develop both our existing technology, reaching millions of people daily, while also working on new features to help the company to grow and scale.
As one of the market leaders in Search and Discovery, empathy.co is also one of the top tech companies in Asturias, and we’ve reached this position because we like to do things differently and love to challenge the norm.
If you’re looking for a company full of smart, outstanding and enthusiastic people who not only design awesome technology but have fun in the process then this could be the place for you.
What are we looking for?
A committed, enthusiastic and forward-thinking individual with the capacity to empathise with our customers.
Someone who is not afraid to ask questions and always keen to learn and improve. A motivated self-starter who loves a challenge
Position based out of Gijón or Narón.
- Two or more years of experience designing and building back-end systems.
- Experience with Java 7+.
- Experience with any Lucene based system (such as solr or elasticsearch).
- Experience with unit testing and continuous integration.
- Team collaboration tools such as Git, Bitbucket, Jira, Confluence, etc.
- An analytical mindset to identify issues and opportunities.
- Experience building reliable distributed systems.
- Experience with Docker and SOA architectures.
- Experience building asynchronous systems with technologies like Akka.
- Experience in data modelling, analysis, design, testing and implementation.
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple task assignments.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- An advanced degree in a specialisation is preferred.
- Working with cutting edge technologies
- Competitive salary
- High-end gear: a 13-inch MacBook Pro with dual monitor setup and the IDE of your choice
- Modern office and young, bright team
- Bi-annual EmpathyDay (company-wide team building events)
- Opportunity to attend tech courses, events and conferences worldwide
- Mentoring and personal development as well as travel opportunities
- Participation in hackathons
- Flexible working hours
- Private medical insurance
- Enjoy our fabulous office gym and musical instruments
- Unlimited coffee, tea and fruits
- Reduced working hours on a Friday and during the summer months.
- Free English lessons at the office
- And most importantly: an amazing working atmosphere and team culture
empathy.co was founded in 2012 to help eCommerce stores provide a more joyful search and discovery experience, pairing great technology, functionality and features with customer inspiration, emotions and empathy.
As a self-financed company, we dictate our own roadmap and our technology, products and teams are all driven by the desire to be challenged, to grow and to innovate. This vision is accomplished by creating an inventive, imaginative and creative ecosystem, which is handled with efficiency, standards and processes that render high profitability and growth.
A fast growing company, Empathy is currently going through an expansion process that began when we opened our London office and now continues with our brand-new office in New York. Today, our team (60 and growing) is distributed between Head Offices in London and Gijón and growing Engineering teams in Narón and Gijón.
Today, some of the largest and most successful commerce stores in the world use empathy.co including: Mango, Inditex, Casa del Libro, Interflora, Adolfo Dominguez, Accessorize, AdoreMe, Fenwick and Soho House. For more information visit www.empathy.co.